17. A.-M. Virkkala, A. M. Abdi, M. Luoto, D. B. Metcalfe. (2019). Identifying multidisciplinary research gaps across Arctic terrestrial gradients. Environmental Research Letters. [Open Access]
16. A. M. Abdi. (2019). Land cover and land use classification performance of machine learning algorithms in a boreal landscape using Sentinel-2 data. GIScience & Remote Sensing. [Open Access]
15. E. L. Johansson and A. M. Abdi. (2019). Mapping and quantifying perceptions of environmental change in Kilombero Valley, Tanzania. Ambio: A Journal of the Human Environment. [Open Access]
14. A. M. Abdi, N. Boke-Olén, H. Jin, L. Eklundh, T. Tagesson, V. Lehsten, J. Ardö. (2019). First assessment of the plant phenology index (PPI) for estimating gross primary productivity in African semi-arid ecosystems. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 78, 86-92. [PDF]
13. D. B. Metcalfe, [….], A. M. Abdi. (2018). Patchy field sampling biases understanding of climate change impacts across the Arctic. Nature Ecology and Evolution, 2, 1443-1448. [PDF]
12. F. Rizinjirabake, A. M. Abdi, D. E. Tenenbaum, P. Pilesjö. (2018). Riverine dissolved organic carbon in Rukarara River Watershed, Rwanda. Science of the Total Environment 643, 793-806. [PDF]
11. N. Boke-Olén, V. Lehsten, A. M. Abdi, J. Ardö, A. A. Khatir. (2018). Estimating Grazing Potentials in Sudan Using Daily Carbon Allocation in Dynamic Vegetation Model. Rangeland Ecology and Management 71(6), 792-797. [PDF]
10. F. Sallaba, S. Olin, K. Engström, A. M. Abdi, N. Boke-Olén, V. Lehsten, J. Ardö, and J. W. Seaquist. (2017). Future supply and demand of net primary production in the Sahel. Earth System Dynamics 8, 1191-1221. [Open Access]
9. S. Georganos, A. M. Abdi, D. E. Tenenbaum, S. Kalogirou. (2017). Examining the NDVI-rainfall relationship in the semi-arid Sahel using geographically weighted regression. Journal of Arid Environments 146, 64-74. [PDF]
8. L. Eklund, A. M. Abdi, M. Islar. (2017). From Producers to Consumers: The Challenges and Opportunities of Agricultural Development in Iraqi Kurdistan. Land 6(2) 44. [Open Access]
7. T. Tagesson, J. Ardö, B. Cappelaere, L. Kergoat, A. M. Abdi, S. Horion, R. Fensholt. (2017). Modelling spatial and temporal dynamics of GPP in the Sahel from Earth observation-based photosynthetic capacity and quantum efficiency. Biogeosciences 14, 1333. [Open Access]
6. A. M. Abdi, N. Boke-Olén , D. E. Tenenbaum, T. Tagesson, B. Cappalaere, J. Ardö. (2017). Evaluating water controls on vegetation growth in the semi-arid Sahel using field and Earth observations data. Remote Sensing 9(3) 294. [Open Access]
5. N. Boke-Olén, A. M. Abdi, O. Hall, V. Lehsten. (2017). High-resolution African population projections from radiative forcing and socio-economic models, 2000 to 2100. Scientific Data 4: 160130. [Open Access]
4. A. M. Abdi, A. Vrieling, G. T . Yengoh, A. Anyamba, J. Seaquist, C. C. Ummenhofer, J. Ardö. (2016). The El Niño-La Niña cycle and recent trends in the supply and demand of net primary production in African drylands. Climatic Change 38(1), 111-125. [PDF]
3. A. M. Abdi, J. Seaquist, D. E. Tenenbaum, L. Eklundh, J. Ardö. (2014). The Supply and Demand of Net Primary Production in the Sahel. Environmental Research Letters 9: 094003. [Open Access]
2. R. E. Bell*, […], A. M. Abdi*, J. D. Paden. (2014). Deformation, warming and softening of Greenland’s ice by refreezing meltwater. Nature Geoscience, 7, 497–502. [PDF] * Corresponding authors.
1. A. M. Abdi. (2013). Integrating Open Access Geospatial Data to Map the Habitat Suitability of the Declining Corn Bunting (Miliaria calandra). ISPRS International Journal of Geoinformation. 2(4):935-954. [Open Access]
20. O. Jama, G. Liu, B. Yousef , I. Basiru, A. Diriye, A. M. Abdi. Mitigating environmental degradation in post-conflict societies: Evidence from Somalia. ** In Review
19. E. S. Al-Kharusi, A. M. Abdi, D. E. Tenenbaum, T. Kutser, J. Karlsson, A-K. Bergström, M. Berggren. Retrieval of coloured dissolved organic matter for the assessment of water quality in northern lakes using Sentinel-2 data. ** In Review
18. A. Mechiche-Alami, A. M. Abdi. Recent trends in West African crop phenology mostly driven by human activity. ** In Review
A. M. Abdi, A. Nandipati. (2009). Abu Dhabi Island: Analysis of Development and Vegetation Change Using Remote Sensing (1972-2000). In E. Chuvieco, J. Li, and X. Yang (Eds.). Advances in Earth Observation of Global Change (Chapter 4: pp. 62-74). Berlin: Springer-Verlag. DOI:10.1007/978-90-481-9085-0 [PDF]
popular science AND Opinion Articles
How can Somalia avoid the ‘resource curse’? (2019) African Business Magazine.
Scramble in Somalia: Will the oil ‘bonanza’ be a boon or curse? (2019) New African Magazine.
Ethiopia’s Visa Scheme Set To Boost Economy. (2019) African Business Magazine.
The Arctic: we don’t know as much about environmental change in the far north as we’d like to think. (2018) The Conversation.
Chad is the country most vulnerable to climate change – here's why. (2017) The Conversation.
Somalia conflict and famine: the causes are bad governance, not climate change. (2017) The Conversation.
A. M. Abdi, S. Javed. (2001). Breeding of Greater Flamingoes (Phoenicopterus roseus) in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. IUCN Species Survival Commission/Flamingo Survival Group Bulletin. ISSN 1680-1857.
A. M. Abdi, C. R. Drew (2000). Black-necked Grebe (Podiceps nigricollis) – A New Breeding Species for the United Arab Emirates. Phoenix 17:20-21. Compiled & distributed by Mike C. Jennings (ABBA Coordinator). Published by NCWCD, Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.